We seek a graduate of an accredited school of architecture, with three-to-five years of relevant design firm experience, to join our Higher Education (HE) team.
The successful candidate will possess a high degree of design, detailing and management proficiency and have the ability to act on client needs with moderate direction. His/her primary role is to assist the lead Project Designer (PD) and/or the lead Project Architect (PA) in all phases of service, including programming, relative to the development and communication of design concepts, as well as the development of details that support the design concept; reinforcing a holistic approach to design and project delivery.
This role will support the continued growth of our national Academic Health Sciences practice, by collaborating with other HE team members to deliver transformational experiences for owners and users, providing pre-design and design phase leadership, generating and translating design and planning concepts into final solutions for Academic Health Sciences projects.
At times s/he will perform the role of the PD on assignments of limited scope. S/he will be expected to lead the development of increasingly complex components on a single large project or on multiple smaller projects. S/he is expected to use strong BIM and computer skills, as these are our primary tools for communication.
The successful candidate must evidence his/her design thinking, detailing prowess, creativity, and graphic skills used to support the resolution of design problems and to artfully represent in-process and finished design solutions (renderings). Further, s/he must demonstrate awareness as to how his/her design solutions addressed client needs and how s/he has actively shaped them in response to those needs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BA or BS (minimum) or Masters degree (preferred) in Architecture
- Recently licensed as an architect, or well-established to becoming a licensed
- Three-to-five years of experience on complex projects in a comparable design firm
- Minimum of two years of Revit production experience within an office environment, demonstrating increasing proficiency
- Proficiency utilizing 3D software (SketchUp, et.al.), Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- The ability to connect design direction to the development of details
- Conversant in Design Dialogues and Pin-ups
- Takes “ownership” of given assignments, and is able to self-direct
- Evidence of successful team-orientation and collaboration behaviors
- Flexibility in approaching multiple, concurrent and diverse assignments and an active prioritization strategy
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- A professional manner
- A creative problem solver
- An interest in higher education environments, as noted below
Working Relationships and Scope
- Reports to team and project leaders on the HE team
- Works independently, under the mentorship of other more experienced team members
- Works closely with project leaders and other firm leaders to successfully deliver projects
- Occasionally represents the firm while interacting with clients, consultants, contractors and public authorities
- Our teams work on multiple, fast-paced and diverse project types of varying scale with concurrent deadlines
- HE team project types include Academic Health Science, Nursing, Medical and Dental science facilities; housing; recreation; athletic and general classroom buildings, among others
Work is performed in a professional, creative, open office environment with business casual attire. Hours of work will generally be during regular business hours and will average 2,300 hours per year. Great flexibility in your schedule is both required of you and returned to you due to our many project deadlines. Semi-regular, out-of-town travel is expected as it relates to servicing clients and professional development.
Thank you for your interest in this posted position! If you would like to share your interest with us, please send an email / cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your resume. The email subject line should be titled, "Architect - Architectural Intern."