We seek an individual to lead our exciting and growing Senior Living team. The ideal candidate is an architect who is sought after for his/her expertise in the Senior Living market, who would step into this entrepreneurial role and build upon our several successful Senior Living projects, established client relationships and our incredible portfolio in hospitality, housing and healthcare design.
It is expected you will be a natural leader, strong mentor and a positive contributor to Kahler Slater's highly collaborative culture.
This role is highly visible within the firm. As the Senior Living Market Leader, you will have the key role in crafting a compelling vision for Senior Living, developing a business plan and leading the team to success in its delivery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Form and reinforce the team through the development of existing staff and adding key hires
- Lead the team in developing a vision for how we will uniquely meet the market and a focused business plan
- Serve as project executive or project leader for existing Senior Living projects
- Build upon your, and our, current networks to secure new opportunities for the firm
- Represent the firm and our capabilities effectively in order to win new work
- Keep current on trends in Senior Living design and clients' issues; adding to the firm’s thought leadership initiatives by actively contributing with writing, speaking and/or design research in the Senior Living market
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to continue to position Kahler Slater as a growing, high quality design firm
- Represent Kahler Slater in the business and design community; being confident and comfortable in this role
- Serve as a primary coach and mentor to other staff
- Understand, believe in and promote the values of the firm, its philosophy and design process
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Registered Design Professional
- Minimum of fifteen years of architecture experience, with a minimum of five years of being directly responsible for building and maintaining client relationships
- Expertise across core Senior Living project types; including, independent living, assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing environments
- Understands, values and encourages quality design, as demonstrated by your daily work and as evaluated by peers and clients
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively build strong relationships externally and internally; is considered capable of communicating ideas, effectively listening and engaging with client leadership teams
- Demonstrates the ability to use excellent verbal and written communication skills in a proactive manner, with a variety of audiences, at all levels of an organization
- Strong presentation skills are required
- Must be able to effectively analyze problems and develop creative solutions, using appropriate resources from inside and outside the firm
- A working knowledge of design tools such as Sketch Up, Creative Suite, etc. is highly desirable; while other forms of design presentation, such as hand rendering skills, are also valued
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills; comfortable providing performance feedback to team members; can handle conflict directly and tactfully
- Able to motivate and inspire others
- Focuses on collaboration and cooperation with others, demonstrating the ability to be a team player
- Able to work effectively under pressure and within restrictive time deadlines and budget parameters while maintaining focus, positive attitude and a sense of humor
Working Relationships and Scope
- Works closely with the Executive Team and other firm leaders, such as our Housing, Hospitality and Healthcare leaders to create, promote and implement the Senior Living business plan
- Works closely with other project leaders and firm leaders to successfully deliver projects
- Work closely with the marketing team to identify, pursue and win new work, to position our services and respond to existing and prospective clients’ needs
Schedule flexibility is both required of you and will be returned to you due to the many concurrent projects and anticipated team responsibilities. Regional and national travel will be required at times to service clients, develop new business and for professional development. Hours of work will vary, averaging 2,300 hours per year.
Please email "firstname.lastname@example.org", with the subject line titled, "Team/Market Leader - Senior Living". Attach your cover letter, addressed to John Horky, FAIA, along with your resume and a relevant project list. Thank you!